Saturday, March 15, 2014

Dear food, we're breaking up

Most of us who schedule WLS have to subject ourselves to a required liquid diet.  I have tried a liquid diet type of program before....but I still got to have one meal and a couple snacks as part of that diet.  That is not the case with my required one week pre-op liquid diet.  I know it's one week and I WILL do it, but it is hard.

Today is day three, last night I had a mild meltdown missing food. Let me just say, the protein shakes I drink 3 times per day are pretty good, they are premade and taste like chocolate milk.  They contain 30g of protein and 160 calories per Shake.  I am drinking no less than 96oz of water per day, this helps with hunger...my issue isn't hunger, I haven't been hungery.  

My issue is what a would call  head hunger...you know when you are sitting on the couch watching your favorite shows and for some reason, but not hunger, you are compelled to go to pantry for some potatoe chips. That's what I am dealing with....and something tells me if I paid more attention to this screwed up compulsion may not be at a weight that qualifies me for WLS.

I am a sweets/carb over indulger.  Any cookies, cakes, pasteries, breads, candy, pastas I love them all.  Oddly enough I am not missing these things....yet.  I am craving things that I rarely ever ate....taco bell refried beans, seriously who craves that! I am craving Mexican food, which I have never liked, an Arby's Reuben sandwhich, and Long John Silvers fish drowned in vinegar (mmmmm).  All strange because I don't eat fast food often and because it's not sweets.  

My mind is trying to screw with my success on this liquid diet, it is so hard to not give in.  I keep telling myself it's only 7 days, but I am not even half way through at this point.  I miss food and just want to put something crunchy or chewy in my mouth.

I am going to do this, but in my head I am kicking and screaming all the way and there may be a few times I shed some real tears....my poor family!  

This is it food, this is the real deal and while we've had some good times I think I've loved you more than you've loved me. This is me breaking up with you.  I know you will always be a part of my life, but I am changing the terms of our relationship.  






No comments:

Post a Comment