So why blog and why now? Well I have come to a crossroads in my life where I am both disgusted with myself and in a place I am serious about doing something to change. I am blogging because it's cathartic for me and I hope that someone finds what I blog about helpful in someway.
In my personal life am a pretty quiet and introverted. I like to socialize with my family, friends and colleagues, but I don't go out of my way to insert myself in social situations. I am happy minding my business and living my life. You are probably wondering about the disgust with myself I mentioned earlier....
I WEIGH 240 LBS (yea I said it and put it out there for the world to see) and I am disgusted that I let myself get here.
I am roughly 5'8" and I haven't always weighed this much. When I got married I weighed 156lbs. I was young and active and never really thought a lot about my weight or trying to maintain it. As the years passed I packed on the weight, although I was fairly active and exercised often. I have yo-yo dieted for years and tried every diet under the sun. I have lost a lot of weight only to gain it back plus some. Prior to having my son, I weighed 193 pounds, I gained a lot of weight during that pregnancy. Once the scaled tipped 254lbs I asked the doctor not to let me see my weight. After I had my son, I had some complications that caused me to not eat, in less than 6 months I was down to 186lbs and I was happy about it. After I was treated for the complications associated with that pregnancy my weight avalanched and I was teetering between 230-240lbs. With my second child I unintentionally maintained a healthy weight gain for that pregnancy. I only gained 23lbs and within a year I was back down to 236 lbs, which was my pre pregnancy weight.
So here I am now, almost 4 years and as many diets later, 240lbs. For the last three years (while still dieting) I have been researching weight-loss surgery. I have went to several weight-loss surgery seminars and have settled on a doctor and a procedure. At this point I am one week away from a different me. I have chosen the gastric sleeve procedure and today I had a pre-operative EGD completed. Don't be fooled, I do not expect a quick fix to my obesity. However, I do expect that this procedure will be the tool I need to make better choices and live a healthier, longer life.
I don't like how I look or how I feel physically and more importantly I want to be healthy and set a good example for my kids. So support me on my journey or not, this is my freak show and I get to run it my way.
No comments:
Post a Comment